Nordic aFRR capacity market
What: A market where balancing service providers (BSPs) can offer bids for automatic frequency restoration reserves (aFRR) capacity to the transmission system owners (TSOs - i.e. Svenska kraftnät, Energinet, Fingrid and Statnett). aFRR can be activated by an automatic control device designed to get the frequency back to the normal frequency band (49,9 – 50,1 Hz) or get the area control error (ACE) to zero. aFRR replace the fast-responding frequency containment reserves (FCR).
How: aFRR balancing capacity is procured by the TSOs before the day-ahead market, taking into account geographical distribution and network constraints. As available aFRR resources are unevenly distributed across the market, the TSOs will reserve some cross-zonal capacity for the aFRR capacity market if this is found to be the socio-economically optimal solution.
Why: TSOs must ensure that they have sufficient aFRR resources to handle possible incidents during operations. As aFRR resources are unevenly distributed across the Nordics, reserving cross-zonal capacity for aFRR makes it possible to procure aFRR capacity across bidding zones
- Presentations and link to recorded webinar on the implementation of Nordic aFRR CM February 11, 2021
- Gate closure time of aFRR capacity market decided February 4, 2021
- Webinar presenting the updated implementation guide for the Nordic aFRR capacity market January 8, 2021
- Nordic aFRR capacity market needs to await results of flow-based external parallel run November 5, 2020
- ACER decision specifies rules for the common Nordic aFRR capacity market August 17, 2020
- Nordic TSOs stresses importance of go-live of aFRR capacity market as soon as possible June 15, 2020
- ACER holds consultation on the methodologies for creating a common Nordic aFRR Balancing Capacity Market May 4, 2020
- Non-paper from Nordic regulators on aFRR capacity market proposals April 8, 2020
- Nordic regulators ask ACER to decide upon aFRR capacity market proposal February 19, 2020
- Nordic TSOs have submitted amended proposals for a common Nordic aFRR capacity market December 19, 2019