Automated mFRR energy activation market
What: The balancing service providers (BSPs) offer bids for manual frequency restoration reserves (mFRR), which are activated based on the TSOs’ needs. mFRR replace aFRR in the process to restore the frequency back to the normal band (49,9 – 50,1 Hz) or reduce the area control error to zero.
How: Today, the Nordic TSOs share a common bid list. However, activations are done manually by the operators at Statnett and Svk. When we move to 15-minute time resolution, mFRR must be activated automatically, as the control centres cannot execute today's manual processes four times as often also considering lower bid sizes and more complex power system. The activation will be based on forecasted imbalances for each bidding zone. Based on these forecasts, each TSO will send in its activation needs to the activation optimisation function (AOF). During a transition phase, before we connect to the European platform, MARI, a Nordic AOF will clear the market. The Nordic AOF is a necessary bridge between the current manual processes and full automation and integration into MARI.
Why: TSOs must secure sufficient mFRR reserves to cover a dimensioning error within their control areas (bidding zones). By having a common Nordic and later European market, TSOs can procure these resources where they are cheapest, given the available cross-zonal capacity. The socio-economic gains are huge, up to several hundred million euros for Europe.
- Invitation to webinar on updated Implementation Guide for market participants in the common Nordic mFRR energy activation market May 12, 2021
- Presentations and link to recorded webinar on the implementation of Nordic mFRR EAM January 19, 2021
- Updated project timeline for automated mFRR energy activation market December 18, 2020
- BSP – Implementation guide mFRR energy activation market December 18, 2020
- An updated version of the memorandum “Product Activation Process” for the mFRR energy activation market July 1, 2020
- Nordic mFRR energy activation market presentations and recorded webinar June 3, 2020
- Invitation to webinar for all interested stakeholders on Nordic mFRR energy activation market May 12, 2020