Nordic mFRR capacity market
What: Today, TSOs have national capacity markets for manual frequency restoration reserves (mFRR). mFRR replace aFRR as TSOs restore the frequency back to the normal band (49,9 – 50,1 Hz) or reduce the area control error to zero.
How: TSOs pay BSPs for guaranteeing that they will provide bids in the mFRR energy activation market. Both producers and consumers make bids in the mFRR capacity market. While aFRR is delivered by production units that are already rotating, mFRR can be delivered by production units that need to start up or demand facilities powering down. The national mFRR capacity markets will be combined into a Nordic market after we move to 15-minute time resolution.
Why: TSOs must secure sufficient mFRR to cover so-called dimensioning errors, the tripping of the largest production unit or HVDC cable within the respective TSO’s control area. The capacity market ensures that these resources are available.
- Presentation from webinar on aFRR capacity market forecasting methodology May 16, 2022
- Updated version, May 2022: Implementation guide mFRR EAM May 13, 2022
- Swedish go-live on common Nordic aFRR capacity market platform May 12, 2022
- Invitation to webinar on aFRR capacity market forecasting methodology 9 May 11-12 CET April 27, 2022
- Notes from stakeholder reference group meeting 24 March 2022 April 1, 2022
- Presentations at the Nordic Stakeholder Reference Group telco 24 March 2022 March 21, 2022
- New go-live date for Nordic mFRR EAM in October / mid-November 2023 March 21, 2022
- The automated operation of the Nordic mFRR energy activation market will be postponed beyond 22 May 2023 February 11, 2022
- Swedish go-live for aFRR capacity market in May 2022 February 9, 2022
- Successful go-live of Finnish aFRR capacity market on new platform January 20, 2022
- Automated operation of mFRR Energy Activation Market needs to be postponed January 11, 2022
- Update to the NBM roadmap January 7, 2022
- Memorandum “Algorithm description – Nordic mFRR EAM bid selection” December 21, 2021
- Nordic TSOs and NRAs – continued cooperation on aFRR capacity market December 17, 2021
- Go-live of aFRR capacity market in Norway December 6, 2021