Nordic mFRR capacity market
What: Today, TSOs have national capacity markets for manual frequency restoration reserves (mFRR). mFRR replace aFRR as TSOs restore the frequency back to the normal band (49,9 – 50,1 Hz) or reduce the area control error to zero.
How: TSOs pay BSPs for guaranteeing that they will provide bids in the mFRR energy activation market. Both producers and consumers make bids in the mFRR capacity market. While aFRR is delivered by production units that are already rotating, mFRR can be delivered by production units that need to start up or demand facilities powering down. The national mFRR capacity markets will be combined into a Nordic market after we move to 15-minute time resolution.
Why: TSOs must secure sufficient mFRR to cover so-called dimensioning errors, the tripping of the largest production unit or HVDC cable within the respective TSO’s control area. The capacity market ensures that these resources are available.
- aFRR Market Handbook is now public September 5, 2022
- Presentation and link to recorded NBM webinar on the Public consultation for proposal for Nordic mFRR Capacity Market methodologies August 11, 2022
- Imbalance pricing and settlement in the Nordics going forward – introduction to the steps ahead (updated) July 5, 2022
- Presentations from webinar on BSP implementation guide for mFRR June 30, 2022
- Nordic TSOs’ proposals for establishment of common and harmonised rules and processes for the exchange and procurement of mFRR balancing capacity June 29, 2022
- NBM roadmap, updated 29 June 2022 June 29, 2022
- Summary from NBM stakeholder reference group meeting 2 June 2022 June 20, 2022
- Presentations from webinar on Results from shadow operation of mFRR EAM June 15, 2022
- Invitation to national webinars for walkthrough of BSP implementation guide for mFRR capacity market, 22-24 June 2022 June 3, 2022
- Presentations at Stakeholder Reference Group Meeting 2 June 2022 in Copenhagen May 31, 2022
- Invitation to webinar on “Results from shadow operation of mFRR EAM” 15 June 13:30-14:30 CET May 20, 2022
- Presentation from webinar on aFRR capacity market forecasting methodology May 16, 2022
- Updated version, May 2022: Implementation guide mFRR EAM May 13, 2022
- Swedish go-live on common Nordic aFRR capacity market platform May 12, 2022
- Invitation to webinar on aFRR capacity market forecasting methodology 9 May 11-12 CET April 27, 2022