Nordic mFRR capacity market
Today, TSOs have national capacity markets for manual frequency restoration reserves (mFRR). mFRR replace aFRR as TSOs restore the frequency back to the normal band (49,9 – 50,1 Hz) or reduce the area control error to zero. Via the mFRR CM project in the NBM program, the TSOs will introduce a common Nordic mFRR capacity market, with hourly procurement on a daily basis (D-1).
TSOs pay BSPs for guaranteeing that they will provide bids in the mFRR energy activation market. Both producers and consumers make bids in the mFRR capacity market. While aFRR is delivered by production units that are already rotating, mFRR can be delivered by production units that need to start up or demand facilities powering down. The national mFRR capacity markets for Energinet, Svenska Kraftnät and Statnett will be moved over to a new Nordic platform supporting national D-1 markets, as a first step towards Nordic market where all four Nordic TSO will participate.
A capacity market is an essential tool for the TSO to secure sufficient amount of balancing reserves. The introduction of an automated balancing process for mFRR (mFRR EAM, MARI) will require more efficient tools for securing these reserves. Thus, the national D-1 markets is considered to be a pre-requisite for a successful go-live of the mFRR EAM. The transition to a common Nordic market will further enhance the socio-economic benefits by efficiently exchange of balancing capacity cross the Nordic countries.
- Successful 15-minute ISP go-live May 26, 2023
- New Market Handbook for aFRR and mFRR capacity markets May 12, 2023
- Value of common Nordic aFRR capacity market confirmed May 11, 2023
- Rethinking the method for a Nordic capacity market for mFRR April 28, 2023
- Option space for future imbalance pricing in the Nordics – informal feedback and input welcomed April 24, 2023
- NBM – status update on the ongoing assessment of the mFRR EAM timeline March 23, 2023
- Q&A follow up on future imbalance pricing March 17, 2023
- Target is set for mFRR capacity markets March 8, 2023
- Webinar invitation to stakeholders on future imbalance pricing January 12, 2023
- Presentations and summary from NBM stakeholder reference group meeting 14 December 2022 December 21, 2022
- NBM roadmap – assessing the results of new flow-based time plan December 13, 2022
- The Nordic aFRR capacity market went live 7th of December 2022! December 12, 2022
- aFRR Capacity Market Webinar November 22, 2022
- The Nordic aFRR capacity market proceeds with go-live as planned on 7 December 2022 November 8, 2022
- The Nordic TSOs plan to implement a common Nordic aFRR capacity market with cross-zonal capacity reservations October 3, 2022